Rachelle Kuramoto is an award-winning writer and brand strategist who balances creative and business acumen with deep empathy. As the vice president of brand and content for Dragon Army, she guides organizations to articulate what makes them distinctive and sustainable with the stakeholders who matter most. Rachelle’s professional path spans more than 20 years, starting at Ogilvy Public Relations. In 2015, she launched Watchword Brand, an agency specializing in branding, content production, and market intelligence. In 2019, the firm was acquired by Dragon Army, fueling its position as one of the most respected and fastest-growing digital agencies in the country.
Rachelle has donated services and board support to not-for-profit entities that provide security and educational equality to Georgia’s citizens — including Waymark Foster, The Alliance Theater, Future Foundation, and Usher’s New Look. She helped to launch a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) chapter that has grown into one of the largest in the state. Rachelle is a founding member of 48in48 and a co-founder of Ripples of Hope, a 501(c)3 that accelerates the healthy, meaningful growth of organizations that believe business should be a force for good. Currently, Rachelle is serving as a board member for the Grove Park Foundation.
Rachelle earned undergraduate and graduate degrees in literature and business as a Presidential Scholar in music at Wake Forest University. She published her Master’s dissertation under the watchful eye of Dr. Maya Angelou, whom she credits with teaching her ability to be courageously empathetic in every form of communication. Outside of work, Rachelle is a mom of two teenagers and a dog and a happy wife.
What You’ll Learn From This Episode
- How the motto of her alma mater “Pro Humanitate” (For Humanity) laid the foundation for a purpose-driven career and life
- Rachelle’s experience studying under Dr. Maya Angelou
- Her shared values with her husband, Kenji, a former guest on our show, and what it’s been like having two purpose-led entrepreneurs living under one roof
- The biggest lessons learned about how to truly leverage business as a force for good and positive impact
- The biggest challenges facing brands today
- What purpose-driven business leaders should start and stop doing today to elevate their brands
- Dragon Army’s experience with becoming a B Corp
- What’s motivating Rachelle’s leadership and her team today
Resources Related To This Episode
Follow Dragon Army
Have you thought about starting your own podcast to grow your business? Our agency can help!
Learn more by starting with our why!